WorldNomads.com and National Geographic Channel are giving one aspiring photographer the opportunity to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in Oman. Find out firsthand what life is like in the field for a travel photographer and learn the tricks of the trade during this 8-day mentorship experience.
About the Assignment
This is the Arabia of Aladdin's dreams.
Allow Peregrine Adventures and Oman Tourism to help you explore the historic city of Muscat and drive along the coast to the bubbling fishing village of Seeb. By 4WD, travel to the rugged interior and the splendid forts of Nakhal and Al Hazm, framed by the spectacular Jebel Akhdar Mountains. Continue on to explore the beautiful oasis at Wadi Bani Khaled, before entering the vast Wahiba Sands – where you'll sleep at a rustic desert camp under a blanket of brilliant stars.
The charming oasis of Lisq and the village of Mudaibi, further reveal the local life of Oman, as does a browse of the fabulous souk of ancient Nizwa. Meet the people, learn of their delicate silverware, woodwork and embroidery, and unwind in the cool heights of the Mountain of the Sun, all before a further wander of the wonderful maze of Muscat.
And what better way to capture the entire experience than from behind the lens of a new Canon EOS 6D?!
The Winner will receive:
- An 8-day bespoke trip to Oman with Peregrine Adventures and Oman Tourism.
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Muscat courtesy of Etihad Airways where you will meet your mentor and small film crew.
- An advanced photography kit from Canon, including:
- Canon EOS 6D: the world's most lightweight DSLR with full frame sensor
- Canon Speedlight Flash 430EX
- Canon Lenses: 50mm f/1.4; 17-40mm f/4; 70-200 f/4
- A Canon Academy course
- Canon PIXMA PRO100 printer
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
The 3 Runner's Up will receive:
- A Canon prize pack including:
A Canon Academy course
3 application photographs printed by PIXMA PRO printers
Here's the deal:
- You must be available to be in Oman between March 7-16, 2013.
- On the trip you will work alongside Jason Edwards photographing the people, culture and landscapes of Oman at various times of the day and night.
- You will gain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of diverse experience as an award-winning photographer.
- Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Jason as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days, early mornings and late nights working!
- Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be a photographer on-assignment with National Geographic!
If this sounds like it's your destiny or know someone that would love the opportunity click on the link below to apply and also read through the FAQ's for the scholarship as well.
FIND OUT MORE
You need to be available between March 7th-16th, 2013 to participate on the assignment.
Applications Accepted: November 12 - January 14
Judging Period: January 14 - February 3
Winner Announced: February 4
Assignment: March 7-16, 2013